Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Breakfast

Menolikebreakfasttime.

My ideal breakfast starts at 10am, and includes pop tarts, pepsi, and doughnut holes. Brought to me on a tray. In bed. The kids are at Grandma's and Nana's.

But breakfast is supposedly the most important meal of the day (prove it), so I usually (grudgingly) make up some french toast, eggs & bacon, etc. with a few days of oatmeal or cereal thrown in.

A co-worker of mine long ago said to me, "I have never eaten a poptart," upon watching our class of preschoolers eat poptarts for snacks. I stared at her quite speechless until she explained that her mother always made her family very big, home-cooked meals in the morning. "Still, a poptart, "says I, "is, like, a food group for college students." Crazy mothers sheltering their kids. ;)

Make up breakfast the day before (ie breakfast casserole), or make a big batch of things one morning and freeze a lot. Freeze french toast (scroll down for a recipe), waffles, etc. I don't like cooking in the mornings, so this frees up a lot of time for me.

We really like frittatas here! I have no idea how I learned how to make these, but here's my own recipe:

1. Beat several eggs in a bowl and let them sit out in room temperature until you are ready to use them. Season them.

2. Dice 2 potatoes, and cook them in a little olive oil in a cast-iron skillet, over medium heat, seasoning with salt and pepper as you go.

3. Fry 4 slices of bacon. When the bacon is cooked, chop into small pieces.

4. Turn your broiler on to the low setting.

5. When potatoes are done, add in the bacon, some cheese of your choice, and pour the eggs over all. You want enough eggs that the other items are submerged in the eggs. Add in some garlic salt!!

6. Let the frittata cook for a few minutes on the burner, until you see small bubbles begin to appear.

7. When that happens, place it under the broiler for a few minutes, add a little more cheese to the top, and cook a few more minutes. It won't take long.

8. When it browns a little on top, take it out, cut it like pie, and enjoy! You can also add any vegetables (I would just add them to the same skillet at the potatoes while they are cooking). Like broccoli or peppers.


My breakfast this morning: Fennel tea w/ orange rind, poppyseed muffin (or 4), and egg whites.

No comments: