Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Mama's Book of Kitchen Sense. Preface

I guess if I were to be strictly honest, I do not like to cook. But I do cook, because I like to eat. I look forward to the end product, not so much the process. I make all kinds of good things, so if I were to put a name to my cooking style, it would be simplicity. I really do not like to cook anything that has a lot of steps to it, is complicated, or involves spending too much time in the kitchen. I love a meal that keeps you going back for more, but takes more time to eat it than cook it.

I'd cook with Nana sometimes in the kitchen, but mostly I just learned as I went after I got married. Nana was a natural chef, having been taught by her grandmother, I believe is what she told me. She made great comfort-food meals that didn't have written recipes. And I don't think she owned any measuring utensils. Papa would cook sometimes too, mostly meats. He enjoyed experimenting with spices. I'm more like Papa in the kitchen, when I am just myself. I grab different spices and liquids and just combine, not really knowing what I am doing. But usually I am not myself, because I can't afford to ruin a meal (not that Papa ruined meals, but I probably would). So I am articulate, analyzing recipes, measuring precisely, setting my timer.

When I married, there was not a lot I could make, but it didn't matter, because our work and college schedules didn't permit a lot of time for nice sit-down dinners. It was not until I hit the nesting phase during my first pregnancy that I started putting a little more thought into cooking. I have definitely come a long way since my first year of marriage, but considering that was 7 1/2 years ago, it is nothing impressive.

What I really like about cooking is the challenge. I enjoy trying unusual things, recipe names I can't pronounce, foods you often only eat at restaurants. Not to say that is what I do five times a week, but just that I can find enjoyment if it's an unusual cooking day.

Being a mother of two, I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I prepare three meals a day, and two snacks. And I HAVE to. It is not that it is just my job, but I would likely go to jail for not nourishing my children. So I am in the process of trying to make it a happy and healthy experience for everyone. I am still learning as I go. And what is the point of learning if it is not to pass down what you have learned to your children?

So that is why I have started this blog...eventually, it will make a nice, big, fat book full of kitchen stories, mistakes, victories, and yummy recipes. I hope my darlings will like it!

No comments: