Monday, February 15, 2010

Mashed Potatoes

I think most people have their own particular ways to making mashed potatoes, and you might find a way that you like best. But, in the meantime, here is how we make them.

Cut each potato into about 4 pieces
Put in water-just enough to cover the potatoes
Bring the water, uncovered, to a boil
Turn the heat down to a simmer, cover, and let cook for about 15 min, or until soft
Drain, put back on the heat until the sizzling sound dies down, take off the heat
mash with a potato masher
(or a fork if you are feeling really bored)

When adding ingredients, make sure they are warm. Any milk/cream should be warmed up in the microwave first, and butter should be softened at room temperature (take a stick from the fridge and place it near the potatoes while they are cooking).

I remember one holiday when I was younger, when my grandpa came over and was finishing up my mom's potatoes. He pulled me over and said, "Now, Stretch, watch and learn." He made a well in the potatoes, then proceeded to put in, like, 20 Tbsp. of butter. I don't put that much butter in my potatoes; salt is my weakness.

When making regular mashed potatoes, I just put in a little butter, a little salt, test, a little more butter, a little more salt, test, butter, salt, test, until I've gotten the taste I want. I add the milk first, so the potatoes are easier to stir. Add milk until the potatoes are the consistency you enjoy. (Some people like really thick, and some people like really thin, so the idea is that you cook your food the way YOU like it. Then when you have a family, you cook them the way EVERYONE ELSE likes them.) Add in some pepper too!

For super yummy (8) potatoes, forgo the milk and butter, and add:
8oz cream cheese
8oz sour cream
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp onion salt
1/2 tsp salt

1 comment:

Candy said...

I hope you don't mind me commenting on this blog..
We love mashed potatoes. I like your grandpa's idea of 20 tablespoons of butter!
I usually add 2-4 tablespoons butter and 2 slices of Kraft American cheese, and mash then add a little milk at a time.. I also love the salt.. The cheese slices make them fluffy & so yummy!! I have tried all types of cheeses, but Darcy loves the Kraft the best!!